‘Who is responsible? It's clear’ - South Africa coach on World Cup battle with Nigeria and Benin
i

South Africa coach on World Cup battle with Nigeria and Benin || X

‘Who is responsible? It's clear’ - South Africa coach on World Cup battle with Nigeria and Benin

Stephen Oladehinde 16:09 - 02.10.2025

South Africa head coach Hugo Broos has opened up on the point deduction docked by the football governing body FIFA last week.

The Bafana Bafana were docked three points and three goals last week by FIFA after being found guilty of playing an ineligible player.

The issue started when midfielder Teboho Mokoena played in the Group C qualifier against Lesotho on March 21, which Bafana initially won. 

Mokoena, however, should have been suspended, having accumulated two yellow cards in previous group stage matches.

What Hugo Broos said

Broos has made a comment on the recent point deduction by FIFA and named the party responsible for the issue.

Hugo Broos at a press conference recently (courtesy)
Hugo Broos at a press conference recently (courtesy)

According to iDiski Times on X, he said, "I know everything that happened in the last two weeks, but we're still alive. 

PAY ATTENTION: Stay updated with the Latest Football News from Pulse Sports.

“There is nothing changed, after the game against Nigeria, we were three points ahead. We still had to win our last two games.

"Why believe Benin will win their last two games and we not. I don't understand why people start doubting, and say we can't qualify anymore...

"People have to stop now to look for who is responsible, we all know he made a mistake. But between the first match and the second, there were 16 months, we also played AFCON... 

Teboho Mokoena should not have played for South Africa against Lesotho || imago
Teboho Mokoena should not have played for South Africa against Lesotho || imago

"Who is responsible, it's clear, 𝗜'𝗺 𝗿𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗼𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗯𝗹𝗲 𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗼𝗮𝗰𝗵. My staff is responsible, the coaching staff is responsible, the player is responsible and SAFA administration is responsible."

South Africa will round up their qualification campaign against Zimbabwe and Rwanda. Meanwhile, Benin will play Rwanda and then third-place Nigeria in their final two qualifiers. The Super Eagles are scheduled to face Lesotho and Benin in October.