Fulham's Marco Silva has complained about Fulham's thin squad and lack of activity ahead of the Premier League season
Fulham manager Marco Silva has voiced frustration at the club’s lack of activity in the summer transfer window.
With the Premier League season about to begin, Silva believes the squad is far from ready to meet the demands ahead.
Silva frustrated by “passive” transfer approach
Silva was visibly frustrated when describing the club’s slow movement in the market. “It’s not an ideal scenario. You used the word ‘quiet’ — I have to say we’ve been too passive. If you asked me if I expected it, I’d say of course not. But it is what it is, it’s the market,” he said.
So far, Fulham have made just one signing, securing goalkeeper Benjamin Lecomte from Montpellier on a free transfer.
Potential moves for Arsenal winger Reiss Nelson and other targets remain speculative, while Brazilian striker Rodrigo Muniz has been linked with Atalanta.
Silva admitted that squad depth is a pressing concern, adding: “It’s important we didn’t get injuries during pre-season because, in some positions, we are very short on numbers. We want to at least have a squad and players on the bench to play a Premier League game and meet the demands the league asks of you.”
Muniz stay in contention despite transfer links
Despite rumours surrounding Muniz’s future, Silva made it clear the forward is still part of his immediate plans.
“It is not for me to comment on any type of offers, but he is going to be in contention for the Brighton game. Rodrigo knows what I think about him and how important he is,” the manager said of the 24-year-old, who has scored 26 goals in 97 appearances since joining in 2021.
With Fulham visiting Brighton before hosting Manchester United on August 24, Silva stressed the urgency of adding reinforcements before the transfer deadline on September 1.
“Let’s hope we can do something before the end of the month, because right now it doesn’t make sense for us to look toward the Brighton game or even the Man Utd game, as we’ve left it very late to reinforce the positions we need,” he warned.
AFCON 2025