Omala's brace fastens Gor Mahia's grip on the title after Murang'a Seal win

© Gor Mahia

Omala's brace fastens Gor Mahia's grip on the title after Murang'a Seal win

Festus Chuma 17:14 - 04.05.2024

Gor Mahia secured a significant win in the FKF Premier League and extended their lead with a strong performance against Murang'a Seal at SportPesa Arena.

Gor Mahia moved 12 points clear at the top of the FKF Premier League with a 3-1 victory over Murang'a Seal in a match played at SportPesa Arena on Saturday afternoon.

It is increasingly looking like Gor Mahia's title to lose, as their handsome lead comes with six matches remaining in the season.

The visitors stunned Seal when they took an early lead through Austin Odhiambo after the hosts' defence was exposed in the 13th minute.

Murang'a responded by exerting pressure on K'Ogalo with Erick Balecho looking the likeliest Seal player to score. The pacey attacker burst into the visitors' side twice, but he was indecisive in the final third, and goalkeeper Caleb Otieno denied Ally Yusuf and Kapchanga with the half-an-hour mark approaching. 

Benson Omala was wreaking havoc for the Seal defense as he combined well with Bryson Wangai who then hit the side netting as the hosts survived a scare.

Seal managed to level the matters with the half-time break approaching courtesy of John Kiplagat.

Gor Mahia were forced to make a substitution in the 40th minute with Enock Wanyama limping off due to an apparent knee injury as Lawrence Juma came on to strengthen the attack.

It was 1-1 at the end of the opening stanza.

The end-to-end action continued in the second half as both sides kept on attacking, but it was coach Jonathan McKinstry's side that threatened the most with their good passing display.

In the 55th minute, Austin tried a beautiful set piece on the edge of the penalty box and managed to produce a fine save from Munyasa, who punched the ball away.

Seal moved forward with purpose and Gor failed to clear the ball in the box which fell for Marvin, but his shot was cleared off the line by Joshua Onyango.

Omala showed his class but rushed his decision in the box in the final nine minutes after a clever turn to beat Seal's defence, as he failed to put the ball into the net with Munyasa out of his line.

Gor continued to disappoint in front of goal but it was Seal who created the best scoring chances earlier on in the half as they took advantage of the hosts’ need to commit numbers forward in attack.

Seal looked dangerous from aerial balls which saw Balecho force keeper Caleb Otieno into a comfortable save with a header as Seal looked for the second goal.

However, the visitors restored their lead in the 75th minute when Austin Odhiambo was brought down in the box and Gor was awarded a penalty, which was converted by golden boot contender Benson Omala.

Gor Mahia stood firm in defence and sealed the win in injury time when Benson Omala showed his pace on the counter attack and provided a superb low finish into the bottom corner of the net to make it 3-1.

Gor Mahia starting XI: Caleb Otieno, Sylvester Owino, Joshua Onyango, Alpha Onyango, Rooney Onyango, Musa Masika, Austin Odhiambo, Bryson Wangai,  Musa Sharrif, Benson Omalla, Enock Wanyama

Follow us on X (Twitter) for more updates.