Ex-Real Madrid star who accused Messi of racism suffers stroke at 38
i

Royston Drenthe alongside Lassana Diarra and Jose Mourinho

Ex-Real Madrid star who accused Messi of racism suffers stroke at 38

Ayoola Kelechi 20:23 - 19.10.2025

A former Real Madrid player has landed in the hospital after suffering a stroke

Former Real Madrid and Feyenoord winger Royston Drenthe has been hospitalised after suffering a brain stroke, according to a statement from FC De Rebellen, a group of former Dutch and Belgian footballers.

The 38-year-old, who retired from professional football in 2023, is said to be receiving “good care” as his family requested privacy during his recovery.

Drenthe hospitalised after stroke

FC De Rebellen confirmed the news on Instagram, revealing that Drenthe suffered the stroke on Friday. “He is receiving good care and is in good hands,” the group said.

Royston Drenthe at Real Madrid | Imago
Royston Drenthe at Real Madrid | Imago Royston Drenthe at Real Madrid | Imago

“The team and everyone involved hope for a speedy recovery. Royston’s family asks for peace and privacy during this period so they can offer him the necessary support and space for his recovery.”

Drenthe, once one of the Netherlands’ brightest football prospects, played for several clubs including Real Madrid, Everton, Reading, and Sheffield Wednesday, as well as stints in Russia and the UAE.

His dynamic playing style made him a fan favourite during his early years, but his career later became marked by controversy and inconsistency.

Drenthe-Messi controversy revisited

Drenthe previously made headlines for claiming that Lionel Messi had directed racist insults toward him during a LaLiga match in 2011 while he was playing on loan at Hercules.

In an interview on The Wild Project, Drenthe said, “In a game when I was in Hercules, against Barça, Messi called me ‘s**** black.’ Then he told me that among the Argentine players, they were called ‘f****** blacks,’ and for them it was a normal thing.”

Royston Drenthe playing against Lionel Messi | Imago

He added, “They have to understand that a boy like me did not like it… After that, we never spoke again. I have a lot of respect for him because he has been one of the best players in the world.”

Following the initial allegations in 2012, Barcelona swiftly defended Messi, releasing a statement that read: “The player has always shown maximum respect and sportsmanship towards his rivals… We are sure that any accusations to the contrary are well wide of the mark.”

Despite the controversy, Drenthe maintained that the encounter left a lasting emotional impact. His recent health scare has prompted messages of support from fans and former teammates across Europe, wishing him a full and speedy recovery.